Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Masai Warriors


I was told that when the British Colonizers arrived in Kenya and Tanzania they promptly decided to leave the Masai alone. They are a fearsome and proud people and I was lucky enough to have a long conversation with a few Masai men after a cultural exhibition. They danced to a rhythm I can only liken to a human heartbeat. They dance in perfect unity as their slender arms and legs move to the powerful gutteral reverberration of the songs they sing. No words mind you, but definintey song. Enchanting and frightening. I have no doubt the lions cower when confronting these men. I'm not kidding. On an amusing note, after the exhibition (and yes, I am pictured with these folks in my bathing suit at poolside-- all sorts of irony in this) I visited with some young men who tried to convince me that I should marry a Masai (and then simply go home and marry an American upon my return to the States). The women weren't interetested in conversation. I am not sure why this was the case. Perhaps they aren't interested in rich, white women from the west, or maybe their culture forbids it. Maybe these particular women were just shy. Not sure.

I hope I will be able to spend more time with the Masai someday. What a rich and rascinating culture.

No comments: