Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Cold Day in Philly

It is freezing in this part of the world and everyone around me is abuzz with the upcoming inauguration. Obama left Philadelphia this morning about the time I arrived, so many twittering passengers joked about catching a glimpse of our next president. We’ll see if Barak will live up to all the hype, eh? I spent the day with my friends Becky and Andy who are expecting a little baby any time.

Lately it has taken me a long time to find inspiration for a blog posting, but today provided at least 20 interactions that I found delightfully share-worthy. Taught an older gentlemen all about the free use of computers and internet at the public library a little after 7 this morning as a golden sunrise and a cup of coffee thawed my hands. Passing along info about newfangled technology felt pretty good. Then I sat on the bus next to a girl that is studying to be a Rabbi and we were fast friends by the end of the ride. I think we are going to try to get together in the next couple of weeks to drink coffee and read Torah together. How cool is this!?

And then there was brunch at a Jewish-Southern diner in West Philly and rich conversation with dear chums. There is very little in life that is better than good food with good friends. By the way, I still don't know what a Jewish-Southern diner is exactly.... kosher BIG breakfasts that include potato latke and pancakes the size of the moon?!

6 comments:

David Hallgren said...

Okay, that was cruel to email me and tell me that you were, A) hanging with Becky and Andy, and B) playing Settler's!!! What fun. I miss the days when we could congregate, hang out and avoid classes. And, Becky looks like the cutest future mom ever! (well, except for Kristin :)
It looks like you had a fun day.
DH

jennifer anne said...

you never know who you will meet on the bus!

Brett & Shelly Faucett said...

I wish I were there for the inauguration. The atmosphere must be electric. A group of us in Chiang Mai are meeting for lunch on Tues and will be celebrating some birthdays and Obama becoming our president.

In a couple of weeks I will be going to a training session for monks regarding HIV/AIDS care. It should be interesting.

Well, I wish a year filled with happiness.

Love you lots Carmie
Brett

Alissa Maxwell said...

Cay you type "West Philly" without mentally chanting the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Aire? I can't.

Carmen Goetschius said...

ALISSA!!! I sang it twice when I was with my friends and they both rolled their eyes at me!! The Fresh Prince..... those were the days! And that is a darn catchy tune!

David Hallgren said...

"Yo Holmes, smell ya later..."