Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sam

It is a beautiful day in New York. Not a cloud in the sky and a high of 62 degrees today! Can you believe it? And yet, my stroll through Central Park was not especially cheerful. I talked for a long time with a friend who is going through an especially crummy divorce and her tears somehow struck a chord with some of my own places of sadness. Sure sucks when life feels out of control. And just as my fingers were growing cold in the chilly evening air and my slovenly pace was looking especially pathetic for a privileged white girl on the Upper East Side, I met Sam.

Sam came bursting out of a building with a big smile on his face, waving at me as if we had been good friends for years. His friendliness literally stopped me in my tracks and I looked around me to make sure he wasn't trying to get the attention of someone else. Sam is the doorman of a building at 5th and 72nd street and simply wanted to know if I was enjoying the spring weather. He took off a pristine white glove, extended a warm hand, and introduced himself. Now, this man probably has no idea that he made my day. If life allowed such things I would have walked over and thrown my arms around his neck with thanks. Sometimes the smallest gestures of kindness can renew your hope in the world.

The figure in this picture is stuck to the sidewalk near my house. And he reminds me of Sam. A pleasant surprise out of nowhere.

1 comment:

Brett & Shelly Faucett said...

It is nice to have some humanity show up out of nowhere. I think we need to tell those people that make our day so that we spread the love.

I really feel for your friend going through the divorce.

take care and lots of love
Brett